By Jeffro on August 23, 2010
I recently came across a new WordPress based book that is different from most of the ones on the market in that it provides blue prints for creating specific purpose sites using WordPress. The book is called WordPress 3 Site Blueprints and was written by Heather R. Wallace and published by Packt Publishing. The first chapter of the book covers a topic that is still very relevant, Migrating a static website to WordPress. Considering the amount of businesses still switching from static based sites to dynamic content this is definitely a use case worth knowing about. The table of contents is as follows:
- Chapter 2: Building A Community Portal
- Chapter 3: Building An E-commerce Website
- Chapter 4: Building A Local Classified Ads Website
- Chapter 5: Building A Consumer Review Website
- Chapter 6: Building A Job Board Website
- Chapter 7: Building A Microblogging Website
- Chapter 8: Building A Local Business Directory
- Chapter 9: Building A Membership Website
As you can see by the table of contents, this isn’t a beginners book nor is it a how to install themes and plugin book. Instead, the book lives up to it’s name by giving you the blueprints to build 10 different specific use websites. Before making the purchase, I encourage you to read the sample chapter which is chapter 4: building a local classified ads site.
By Jeffro on June 16, 2010
This is the first time I’ve seen anyone refer to Matt as the son of Gutenberg but it seems like a good fit. The Big Money takes a look at how WordPress has been able to democratize publishing and how the software has been able to change the way people publish the written word. For anyone wanting to know an overview of how Automattic makes their money, it shapes up to be 40% upgrades, and the remaining 60% is split between enterprise services and ads. It’s great to see that even after seven years, Matt is still on a mission.
“If we can democratize publishing,” Mullenweg says with his idealism firmly in front, “if we can make these communication mechanisms just completely effortless and ubiquitous, the world becomes a better place, and that’s very motivating for everyone.”
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people in the WPTavern audience publish content on one or more blogs consistently? If so, what is your motivation?
By Jeffro on September 1, 2009
Well, does it? I mentioned on Twitter that often times, when I hit the button to schedule a post, I freak out for about three seconds because I see the text that says Post Published. In my mind I’m thinking hey, I didn’t want to publish this post but have it scheduled to post in the future. So my first instinct is to look to the right in the publish widget and make sure the status is set to scheduled. One time, I accidentally published a post to the frontpage when I really wanted to have it scheduled. That was annoying.
At any rate, I think that instead of the text saying Post Published after I schedule a post, it should say Post Scheduled along with the time the post is scheduled for just like it does in the Publish widget so that it doesn’t freak me out and I can consider the text normal behavior. I think this is a usability issue, but before I make any noise about it, I wanted to get your thoughts.
By Jeffro on March 31, 2009
At about this time every year, the folks over at Webware present their Webware 100 finalists on which to vote on to see who will take the crown in their respective category. In 2008, WordPress was the winner of the publishing category. This year, the category is called Social Networking and Publishing in which WordPress.com along with the WordPress Platform are among one of the choices to vote for. The poll is being conducted via PollDaddy and the results will be announced on April 19th.